I am reminded again that history has much to teach us about context, so I decided (with some consternation) to post this array of assorted facts, quotes & information that I put together elsewhere earlier this year...
A few links:
IDF Israeli death stats
Red Crescent Palestinian death stats
Remember the Children
If Americans knew
On Jews and their part in the deaths of Jews:
1. Ben Gurion informed a meeting of Labour Zionists in Great Britain in 1938:
“If I knew that it would be possible to save all the children in Germany by bringing them over to England and only half of them by transporting them to Eretz Israel, then I opt for the second alternative.”
2. Chaim Weizmann reporting to the Zionist Congress in 1937 on his testimony before the Peel Commission in London, July 1937: Chaim Weizmann, the first president of Israel, made this Zionist policy very explicit:
The hopes of Europe’s six million Jews are centered on emigration. I was asked: “Can you bring six million Jews to Palestine?” I replied, “No.” … From the depths of the tragedy I want to save … young people [for Palestine]. The old ones will pass. They will bear their fate or they will not. They are dust, economic and moral dust in a cruel world … Only the branch of the young shall survive. They have to accept it.
3. Salli Mayer:
“. . . what is happening in Poland are exaggerated stories. . . the way of the Ost Yuden. . .always asking for money.”
“As is was everywhere else, in Bedzin, too, the basic difference between the observant individuals and the Zionist leaders and enlightened “intellectuals” of the city was graphically demonstrated. Practically all of the kapo officers were academicians – persons with degrees—who behaved like wild beasts and at times were more cruel than the Nazis. On the other hand, the observant Jews simultaneously increased their acts of kindness and mutual help”.
#3 & #4 are from this book site dedicated to informing the public at large about Torah Jews.
See p.58 of the book for details on the Swedish Zionists who requested that the Swedish gov’t REVOKE the law allowing 10,000+ Jews to claim refuge in 1939.
On more current affairs:
1. Ariel Sharon:
“Every time we do something, you [Shimon Peres] tell me America will do this and will do that… I want to tell you something very clear: Don’t worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it.”
2. Ariel Sharon In an interview with General Ouze Merham, 1956:
“I don’t know something called International Principles. I vow that I’ll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian child’s existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I’ve killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in 1956). I wanted to encourage my soldiers by raping Arabic girls as the Palestinian women is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do.”
“A bellicose man who seemed to be chomping at the bit to start a war.”
–President Ronald Reagan describing then defense minister Ariel Sharon in his autobiography “An American Life,” chapter 58.
A few facts:
1. In September 1953, Sharon escorted Unit 101 in an attack on Bedouins in demilitarised Al Auja (a 145 square km juncture at the western Negev-Sinai frontier), killing an unknown number. Al-Auja was declared a demilitarized zone in the 1949 armistice between Egypt and Israel because it was a major invasion route along the Cairo-Beersheva-Jerusalem axis. (Factoid#1a – A close Israeli friend’s parents (Arab Jews) were given shelter by the Bedouin for years and were driven to living in Israel by jewish violence)
2. Major David Mofaz testifying at an Israeli military trial investigating the mistreatment of Arab townspeople at the hands of Israeli soldiers stated in 1982 that
“Israeli soldiers were given orders to harass and beat up Palestinian residents.”
Mofaz was certain these orders came from the top, from the Chief of Staff, and was himself “person-ally ordered to beat up Arabs by the West Bank military commander.” He stated further that
“the army had orders to harass the West Bank population, not just those involved in anti-Israeli demonstrations.”
The trial also heard evidence that then Defense Minister (now Minister of Trade), Ariel Sharon had not only encouraged Israeli soldiers to beat up school children but that, in giving instructions to the soldiers in the West Bank for dealing with the Arab protectors, he had told them to “cut off their testicles.” Sharon reportedly stated in these sessions that
“the only good Arab is a dead Arab.”
“By Way of Deception, Thou Shalt Make War” - Mossad motto